Sunday, November 13, 2011

Chilli Spiced Black Pepper

This can barely count as a recipe but I am now addicted to this so I had to include it! That plus after just returning back to Canada after a month away I had no other posts lined up so you have to excuse me for this quick and easy one. That being said, it may be quick and easy but if you are a chilli lover like I am, then this will transform your dishes!

As with my last post (Slow-Roasted Moroccan Style Lamb) I have to credit this recipe to my lovely sister-in-law, Susan. Sus and I both love cooking and have similar tastes when it comes to food so when she gave me this to add to my soup last week I was absolutely delighted. She had used it to cover a roast chicken with which was then served with lemon but you can literally use this anywhere you would add black pepper – after all it is just ground black pepper kicked up a few notches!

I make enough to fill a small container but you can make as much or as little as you like and depending on your heat tolerance adjust the amount of chillies used. You could also try using a mix of different peppercorns for a little extra variety and of course could vary the type of dried chillies used for a different taste. Quick and easy but the simplest and most amazing idea ever – I love it!!

3 tbsp whole black peppercorns
2-3 dried red chillies, stalks removed

Simply put the peppercorns into either a spice grinder or mortar and pestle and grind to the coarseness of freshly ground pepper. Finely chop up the chillies (or you could even snip them with some kitchen scissors) or grind them as well in pulses so they still contain some texture and the seeds then mix with the black pepper. That easy!

{If you are short of time but want to try this use chilli flakes instead and just add them to the ground black pepper.}

8 comments:

  1. Great post! :) I love making my own spice mixed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful. I am not a black pepper fan but I will try this one. And I am sending this off to my sister. Great job. Welcome back to Canuckland. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice Post! A simple mix of spice that can twist any recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these kind of simple staple recipes. Kind of like making vanilla sugar. This is a spice I would use time and time again! : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all so much! It's amazing how something so simple and easy can make such a difference!

    Kim - Thank you! It's lovely to be back! Now I just need to get over this horrible cold I picked up on the plane! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. As one chilli lover speaking to another - this combination really appeals - great sprinkled over omelettes or poached eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice one who doesn't like black pepper and chilli a wonderful combination that even works with chocolate dishes or my favourite fillet steak sorry I am just imagining this with just about anything Yeh! soups.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the look of this and so easy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...